Monday 12 September 2011

A/W Party Dresses - It's Got To Be Velvet

The wardrobe space in our new flat is pretty atrocious. So much so that I had to have a huge clothes clear out before we moved here. I donated around 6 large bin bags full of lovely dresses, tops, skirts, shoes and accessories to the local charity shops. It was painful, but also quite liberating.
What I realised whilst doing this was that there was a certain type of dress that, no matter how little I had the chance to wear it, I just couldn't throw away. It's the classic LVD - Little Velvet Dress.
Check them out - including my recent little red number. Ooh it's a beaut.

First up we have the classic. It's smooth velvet and fits like a dream. It's my 'go to' dress - I always end up wearing it because it's the most comfy thing in the world and it is VERY forgiving! It's also my most bargainous dress at just 99p from eBay. It was originally from Wallis.

Here's a view of the back. It's just a classic.

It's the kind of dress that needs absolutely no jewellery, but what it does need is a kick ass pair of shoes. My boyfriend picked these out in a sale - aren't they just wonderfully mad?


My second velvet dress is one that I used to have to wear for work uniform. I was glad I didn't have to give it back when I left - it's a great mixture between gothic and girly. When I said the previous dress was the cheapest - I lied - this one was free!

I call it my Dorothy dress. For some reason it gives me a Dorothy Gale vibe - no idea why. It fastens at the back with a gorgeous little velvet button attached to the lace.

I always wear this dress with red shoes, even if they are a bit scruffy!


My third velvet dress is my all time favourite. I saw it in Debenhams in the Henry Holland section about a year ago and fell in love with it. Unfortunately it was way out of my price range. A couple of months later I popped in to grab a free perfume sample and there it was, on sale for just £11! I tried it on and it was as if it was made for me. I almost cried with joy!
I like to call this ensemble my Zomsemble - it just goes with the whole zombie green really well!

I like to wear this bad boy with these wonderful zombie Iron Fist shoes which were a gift from my wonderful sister.

And of course the outfit wouldn't be complete without this necklace which was a valentines gift from The Boy. 


And finally, my latest addition to the velvet party dress family, the rather risque red crushed velvet number. I got this at a charity shop two days ago for just £5.50. It's a great fit and I LOVE the colour - but it's very short!

The long sleeves are ideal for the winter though, and I'd definitely wear tights with it. This is another 'no jewellery needed' number - just a simple pair of patent shoes will do.

Now all I need is a few party invitations and I'm good to go!

3 comments:

  1. oooooo MAMACITA!!! ow! ow! LOVES IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look FABULOUS in all of them - the second one is my fave - the more detail, the better!

    Also - KILLER shoes - all of them!

    Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete